The Chinese drums are one of the oldest style of toys in China, it is often found at festivals such as the Lunar New Year.
Create your own, explore a little bit of history and enjoy the rhythmic sounds!
- 2 small paper plates
- 2 beads
- Ribbons, string or even a shoelace
- Glue or a stapler
- Popsicle stick or dowel
- Hole punch
- Glitter (optional)
- Decorate the plates as you wish. You can use coloured paper or paint or draw straight on to the plates
- Glue the popsicle stick/dowel to one of the paper plates
- Then glue/staple the plates together
- Punch a hole on each side of the plate
- Measure the ribbon so that it goes from one hole to just past the centre point of the plate
- Tie one end of the ribbon to the hole
- Take a bead and place it on the other end of the ribbon
- Complete for both sides
- To play your drum, take the popsicle stick/dowel into your hands and twist it back and forth. The beads will hit the paper plates and make noise!