A rich and hearty meal ideal for a midweek dinner.
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
500g lean beef mince
1 tsp dried oregano
1 small egg
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 cup Arborio rice
2L vegetable stock, salt reduced
300g jar tomato pasta sauce
½ cup hot water
½ cup basil leaves
¾ cup shaved parmesan
- Pick the rosemary leaves off the woody stalks and finely chop the leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine rosemary, mustard, mince, oregano, egg and pepper. With clean hands, roll mince mixture into meatballs (approximately 20)
- Heat a large fry pan to medium-high heat, add half the olive oil and cook meatballs until brown and cooked through. Once cooked, place on to a clean plate.
- In a small saucepan, heat stock until boiling. Turn off heat and set aside. In another large saucepan, heat remaining oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Add in rice, and stir to coat.
- Add in stock one ladle at a time, stirring in between. Let the rice absorb the liquid before adding another ladle.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add tomato pasta sauce and stir. If necessary, add ½ cup hot water to loosen the risotto. Then add meatballs in for two minutes to heat through.
- Stir in half the parmesan cheese until melted. Serve risotto topped with remaining parmesan and basil leaves. Serve with a side salad.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Good nutrition is essential for the health and wellbeing of young children. We are proud to partner with NAQ Nutrition, the Qld Division of Nutrition Australia, by producing recipes that are healthy, delicious and aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.